[okfn-discuss] Project Proposal: SPARQL Endpoint Satus

Pierre-Yves Vandenbussche py.vandenbussche at gmail.com
Wed May 15 16:00:25 UTC 2013

Hi Ross,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Yves,
>
> Is this something that could, or should, be hosted as part of the datahub?
>  I wonder if it is something that could be implemented as a CKAN extension
> (not least because it might be useful on another CKAN instance I maintain).

There are two different objectives in the project I propose:

1. deliver a live service to monitor SPARQL Endpoint characteristics for
any end user (availability, compliance with SPARQL 1.0 and 1.1, access to a
void description, and performance. Currently only the availability is
monitored)

2. offer a packaged tool for any data publisher to monitor their own SPARQL
Endpoint and perform more advanced analytics (that could be too hammering
if running regularly from 1.)

the first objective is closely linked to Datahub, the second one is a
generalization of the former and packaged to stand alone.

I don't know what is the impact of defining this project as a CKAN
extension. But I definitely see the project I proposed as complementary
with CKAN, focusing on the quality of SPARQL Endpoints.

Is this project not too specific for CKAN? Someone could argue: why would
we have something for SPARQL Endpoints but not for file dumps?
Is it compatible with the release of a standalone tool?
What would be the flexibility we have to update our extension re. CKAN
versions?
How would fit the integration of the extension in CKAN?

 I'll be sending out another email later asking for volunteers to help me
> give datahub.io a bit of a clean-up and upgrade and so it'd be helpful to
> know what others want, or expect from it.

Yes sure.

Regards,
Pierre-Yves.