[okfn-discuss] Women comfortable at speaking at events...

Zara Rahman zara.rahman at okfn.org
Mon Nov 25 19:07:21 UTC 2013

Hi Gene, it's refreshing to hear that it isn't a problem in the areas
you are working in! It wasn't advertising but rather letting people know
of this opportunity, as personally in many of the events I've attended,
the gender balance is an issue, and often the reason given is 'we
couldn't find female speakers on xxx tech issue'. I know that amongst
the Open Knowledge Foundation community we're lucky to have a great mix
of people, and I imagined that some of our community members might be
interested in proactively addressing those balance issues through this
initiative.

Also a big +1 to Duncan and Emanuil's comments too; gender diversity is
a problem in tech (like Emanuil- apologies for the lack of data to hand
to back up this assertion!), and this affects our community too,
although we are broadening outside of purely the tech community with our
many great projects and groups!

Zara