[okfn-discuss] Help shape the future of the Open Knowledge Foundation

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Thu Nov 28 10:56:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:43:05 +0100, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> said:

    > On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 10:13:42AM +0000, Heather Leson wrote:
    >>
    >> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dCH7omEGGqhNq5JiBGdW-6sbFw6LKDlMS3Wa-1mfnCE/viewform
    >>

    > one thing you could do to serve "me" better is not to put these
    > queries on google. there's people who try to avoid the tentacles
    > of the US spying machine

Strongly argree. The OKF uses far too much compromised proprietary
software in its day to day activities. This has been pointed out
before but maybe now that we have evidence of it not being paranoia
and that the OKF is far less UK-centric [1] than it has been in the
past, we can work on finding ways of working that are more compatible
with the organisation's own ideals?

To be clear, not that it should need clarifying, writing in a personal
capacity here, though I would be delighted if someone made a sysadmin
support ticket that said, "please give us a better way of doing
surveys".

Happy hacking,
-w

[1] This is speculation, but I think it matters because, having lived
    in the UK for a while now, even after the recent news stories it
    still seems to be very much a minority viewpoint that there is
    anything wrong with surveilance and spying on the citizenry. When
    an organisation is heavily UK-based, I speculate that this
    societal bias will continue to affect its way of working and
    perception of what is and isn't acceptable.