[okfn-discuss] Free Software tools for OKFN -- please contribute

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Fri Nov 29 18:44:27 UTC 2013

Il 29/11/2013 19:28, William Waites ha scritto:
> If the sysadmin team is going to help with this -- which I think
> we should -- we need to find out what to address in what order.
> Prioritise a bit in terms of importance, visibility and ease of
> solving the problem. This should be driven by demand from the
> community and we need it to be a little bit focused and specific.

Audio/video conferencing. In my experience this is a major component
for community building and organisational purposes, that the OKF is
using a lot, with good results.

1. Is using Google Hangouts and Skype acceptable?

2. Can we set up a WebRTC service that is reliable (i.e. is able to
serve a conference call with the same number of participants as we
currently have)?

3. Is there a free-to-use WebRTC service that is freedom-respecting
and provides good quality?

4. Otherwise, is it feasible to pay for a hosted WebRTC service that
is freedom-respecting and doesn't force users to use proprietary software?

I hope this outline is useful to develop an informed discussion and
decisions.

All the best
-steko

--