[okfn-discuss] Free VoIP services

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Sat Nov 30 11:35:16 UTC 2013

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 02:25:59 +0100, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> said:

    > why are existing voip clients/servers not sufficient?

That is a very good question. If we need video that might be a reason
why. I am not sure that we need video -- myself I don't even have a
camera on my computer.

There are some technical details to be worked out (mostly around NAT
traversal) but it wouldn't be difficult at all to put together a
decent VoIP PBX/conferencing system. This is something I have done
before and would be happy to look at.

We also need a way to do text chat at the same time as speaking on the
phone, but the easy solution to that is just to use IRC which we
already do.

-w