[okfn-discuss] Joining OKF - Heather Leson

Lane Rasberry lane at bluerasberry.com
Tue Oct 1 13:55:49 UTC 2013

Hello Christian, Heather, and others,

To review, I am proposing the establishment of historical records. I am
proposing the Wikipedia article on "Open Knowledge Foundation" as the most
accessible place for these records. To create a history there we have to
comply with Wikipedia community guidelines.

Wikipedia works because it depends on citations rather than the
qualifications of the authors. This means that all good Wikipedia articles
summarize the best sources.

*What I need more than anything else are the best third-party published
"reliable sources" describing aspects of the Open Knowledge
Foundation.*Wikipedia defines reliable sources as whatever respectable
third-parties
have published on a given topic. In practice, this upsets a lot of
organizations, because it means that any given organization's brand is not
defined by their PR department, but rather by all published media exclusive
of an organization's own PR and their direct allies. Organizational
representatives can get their perspective into the historical record by
giving interviews if respectable journalists care to take them and publish
them.

Can you please help me find or share with me all significant publications
which have ever covered an OKFN project or the OKF itself? Some examples of
what Wikipedians want include the following:

   - third-party media covering major OKF projects
   - moderated interviews with OKF staff in which some control of the
   interview was out of the interviewee's control, and especially when the
   interview designates an individual as being affiliated with OKF
   - all criticism, complaints, and negative information in published media
   about anything which OKF has done
   - partnership records in which other organizations say that they are
   doing something with OKF, including collaborating, funding, or receiving
   funds

Also, to supplement the article, can OKF point to at least one
freely-licensed instance of non-text media which can be inserted into the
article to illustrate the OKF in some way? It would be ideal if every major
OKF project featured in the article has an associated item of non-text
media. For example, if CKAN is to be listed as an OKF-supported project,
then could someone arrange for a single representative screenshot of this
copyrighted software to have a free license applied to it so that it could
illustrate the article and so that journalists wanting to talk about it
could have an image for their reuse? In general - all major concepts
covered are best covered when they have one illustration to go with them.

Let's start with sources first! Nothing else happens without identifying
all media coverage!

Thanks,

Lane Rasberry
206.801.0814