[okfn-discuss] Defining open data - blog post

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Oct 4 00:12:53 UTC 2013

On 03/10/13 03:30 PM, Gene Shackman wrote:

> Just one comment. Should it be "Open data are" rather than "Open data
> is"? Let's see, "the open internet is" but "free websites are"

I prefer "is", but it looks like it varies by discipline or context:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data#Usage_in_English

"British usage now widely accepts treating data as singular in standard
English,[17] including everyday newspaper usage[18] at least in
non-scientific use.[19] UK scientific publishing still prefers treating
it as a plural.[20] Some UK university style guides recommend using data
for both singular and plural use[21] and some recommend treating it only
as a singular in connection with computers.[22]"