[okfn-discuss] Defining open data - blog post

Theodora Middleton theodora.middleton at okfn.org
Fri Oct 4 13:18:03 UTC 2013

I like this conversation. I've never quite made a decision about which to
use, but I think based on the Guardian's summary I would go with "is" from
now on. More accessible and normal. Be warned, all ye who submit blog
posts.

On 4 October 2013 13:50, Paula Graham <paula at fossbox.org.uk> wrote:

>  Latin's no longer taught much in UK schools so the current generation of
> GB English speakers must be forgiven for ignoring Romantic declension and
> conjugation. In the age of machine data [they are] [it's] largely
> uncountable anyway and English is primarily understood by word-order so I'm
> with the 'mass noun' contingent. To a contemporary native GB English
> speaker, using a plural verb sounds very odd.
>
>  Paula Graham
> Director | Fossbox
> Mobile: +44 (0)7768362795
> Email: paula at fossbox.org.uk
> www.fossbox.org.uk
> skype: bastubis
>  ------------------------------
>
>  On 04/10/13 01:23, Basili Carla wrote:
>
> The latin term "data" is the plural of the latin  term "datum" and
> therefore the verb should be used accordingly. While this is quite clear in
> Italian, I don't know if it can help with English.
>
> Carla Basili
>

> Il 2013-10-04 01:03 Aaron Wolf ha scritto:
>
> Found via DuckDuckGo:
>

> http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular[30]
>
> But in _this_ case it is more clearly "is" in terms of the way we're
> using "data" in the definition. It's a mass noun like "software" not
> "softwares" but clearly there's debate.
>
> I agree the simple one-sentence definition is good
>
> --
> Aaron Wolf
> wolftune.com [31]
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Gene Shackman <eval_gene at yahoo.com><eval_gene at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> "Open data is data that can be freely used, shared and built-on by anyone,
> anywhere for any purpose."
>

> This says it all. This is the best definition, it is clear and easy to
> understand. Everything else is just details.
>
> All the stuff about how the data should be available (e.g., machine
> readable, human readable, should have clear dictionaries, etc), where it
> should be, who should present it, how much of it should be available, etc.,
> all that stuff is detail.
>
> Any documents about open/free/libre data should start with this simple,
> clear, short statement.
>
> Just one comment. Should it be "Open data are" rather than "Open data is"?
> Let's see, "the open internet is" but "free websites are"
>
> Gene
>
> -------------------------
> FROM: Luis Villa <luis at lu.is> <luis at lu.is>
> TO: Open Knowledge Foundation discussion list
> <okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org> <okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org>
> SENT: Thursday, October 3, 2013 11:29 AM
> SUBJECT: Re: [okfn-discuss] Defining open data - blog post
>
> Nifty. Anything in particular motivate this now?
>
> Luis
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org><laura.james at okfn.org>wrote:
>
> ALL,
>
> WE JUST POSTED ABOUT "DEFINING OPEN DATA" ON THE OPEN KNOWLEDGE FOUNDATION
> [...]

*

Theodora Middleton

Blog Editor  |  skype: theodora.middleton

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on
*