[okfn-discuss] Examples of the impact of open data initiatives?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 12:11:22 UTC 2013

One of the highly quoted ones and which (I suspect) has had a large impact
on some in Obamaland is the Batelle analysis of the human genome, showing
that 4 Billion investment led to 700 Billion downstream wealth. The update
http://www.battelle.org/media/press-releases/updated-battelle-study-genetics-and-genomics-industrynow
quotes over a trillion (1,000,000,000,000 USD) Of course there aren't
controls - what would Venter have done if he had "won the race" and the
developments requires other technologies.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Ewan Klein <ewan.klein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are many arguments given in favour of open data initiatives,
> including economic growth and innovation, more efficient distribution of
> information, government transparency, and civic participation. However,
> it's surprisingly hard to find documented evidence about the impact of such
> initiatives: did they work well, and if so, in what way? Can their impact
> be measured?
>
> This slide deck
>

> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_uF9HSJnrS9eFgHi4gMYg1UZ_-8lfGpeutfSBd2ppKs
>
> gives a number of aggregated (and presumably estimated) figures for
> benefits along the lines of "SME's grow 15% more with free geo data as
> opposed to paid data", but there's a lack of more concrete examples such as
> "the publication of clinical outcomes of heart surgery in the UK has led to
> 1,000 fewer deaths per year".
>
> So here's the question: does anyone have more examples of cases where open
> data initiatives have made a clear difference, particularly at the level of
> city data?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ewan
>
> -------------