[okfn-discuss] what are the arguments against open data

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 04:08:56 UTC 2013

> http://crookedtimber.org/2012/**06/25/seeing-like-a-geek/<http://crookedtimber.org/2012/06/25/seeing-like-a-geek/>

My critique of this:

First, he makes bold statements about the demise of local video stores,
publishers, and record labels into Amazon / Netflix / iTunes. But this is
simply misguided. This is just a matter of shifts that happen in technology
and the solutions to today's problems have nothing to do with a return to
the old days of publishing (which were awful in many ways). The problem
today is largely with the DRM and copyright restrictions which centralize
power with these big monopolists.

Second, he talks about data's effect on the erosion of privacy and such.
This is a real concern, but I'd say it amounts to a debate about
*quantity*of data, not openness. It is no good for the NSA to have
collected
ridiculous amounts of privacy-invading data. Keeping that from being opened
makes sense, but it ought not to have been collected in the first place. In
the end, I think there is nothing we can do to stop Big Data and will have
to deal with it whether it is open or closed. The ramifications of Big Data
could potentially be more negative than positive, I don't know for sure,
but having only the privileged have access is not a solution. When we
choose to Open things, we can be thoughtful about what is kept confidential
and who has access. Overall, I do see merit to the argument that we must be
careful about opening any particular set of data. That said, some sorts of
data have no possible privacy concerns.

> http://mathbabe.org/2012/07/**26/is-open-data-a-good-thing/<http://mathbabe.org/2012/07/26/is-open-data-a-good-thing/>

Same basic thing here. I think there may be reasons to fear the era of Big
Data. I don't see the push for openness to be the fault here. As she says,
anonymizing data often means destroying all the data essentially. Well,
maybe there is data that should be destroyed and never collected. Likewise,
there are thing that should never be reduced to data points. All of these
issues are bigger than whether data is closed or open.

As for only people with the right knowledge and tools benefiting from data,
again that is a question of the effect of the data being collected in the
first place, not of it being open or not.

In summary: we need a discussion about data existing and data collection.
Anything we are wary of being collected at all we should likewise be wary
of it being open (although open *may *be better in some cases). Any data we
are all *perfectly* comfortable with collecting ought to be open. We do
need to be wary of open-data movement becoming a blindly
pro-data-collection movement.

Cheers,
Aaron