[okfn-discuss] what are the arguments against open data

Gene Shackman eval_gene at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 01:58:34 UTC 2013

Let me put it this way. Some people may take the side of opposing open data for some reason or another. What are the reasons those people give? The issues I mentioned are reasonable arguments for pointing out the difficulties of getting data to be open. It does take a lot of work (especially now when govts are being cut back so much), and generally those who prepare the data or are in the orgs that the data are about, do have a better understanding than those who are outside.

Those who are outside may be able to bring more (not necessarily better, but more) insight to the data, but there will generally be things about the data they won't know as well as will insiders.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing against open data, but I am pointing out some of the issues.

Gene