[okfn-discuss] what are the arguments against open data

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 9 13:09:09 UTC 2013

The public domain issues are complex. The public domain is defined in
U.S. law, but is not necessarily recognized in other legal
jurisdictions. The U.S. government can theoretically claim copyright
in other legal jurisdictions, but in my experience refrains from any
effort to label US government data as copyrightable in deference to
the data's public domain status under U.S. law. As I understand it, a
non-US entity could claim copyright to US government data, and sue
anyone who tried to use that data outside of U.S. territory. For
example, this could apply to data obtained through the direct
broadcast feature of some U.S. Earth observation satellites. The owner
of a receiving station could copyright the data received from the
satellite, even if the processing algorithms were identical to those
used by the U.S. government.

Of course, given that users would generally go to a free and open
source if available rather than use a restricted source, this seems
unlikely to happen. But it certainly has happened with commercial
media and web streaming...

Cheers, Bob

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu