[okfn-discuss] [ANN] TimeMapper - Create Elegant TimeMaps from Google Spreadsheets in seconds

Emanuil Tolev emanuil.tolev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 08:44:42 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On the topic of sign-in:

On 14 October 2013 22:42, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 14 October 2013, Gene Shackman wrote:
>
>> Looks nice, but why do you have to sign up using a twitter account? And
>> why google spreadsheets? What if you don't have an account with either of
>> those? For future applications can you design it so you don't need twitter
>> or google?
>>

> Twitter: happy to have another sign in mechanism but want something quick
> and convenient for most people that involved them already having reserved a
> unique username. Specifically we wanted to avoid being responsible, at this
> point, for doing the whole signup process (storing passwords, doing
> password recovery, handling spam accounts etc)

How about Mozilla Persona, have we tried using it in projects?
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/persona/

It seems to be well-designed, as usual by the privacy-minded Mozilla folks.
The friction of creating an account on Persona would be arguably very
similar to asking users to create a separate account for TimeMapper (and of
course if it works well, it could be supported in other Labs projects).
That isn't to say we stop supporting Twitter sign-ins of course.

The lightweight web chat folks at http://scrollback.io/ have a demo which
integrates with Persona. (When the web chat bar appears in the bottom
right, click the autogenerated username and you'll be prompted to log in /
sign up using Persona.)

Thanks,
Emanuil