[okfn-discuss] Is there a catalog of Open Data Applications

FENG GAO gaofeng860918 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 12:36:26 UTC 2013

Thanks all for your reply

It seems I asked the question in a wrong way. Let me re-phrase it a bit.

In fact, I know some resources mentioned above to locate specific examples.
Here, I'm actually not talking about locating one example to illustrate the
idea of open data but I'm asking whether there is single one-stop site I
could just visit and get the example I need rather than searching different
places to find the right example.

Moreover, it could be just beyond finding an example. I'm thinking about
comparing different app solutions that use the same type of dataset. For
instance, how different apps use the crime data? e.g. a map of crime data
v.s. a visualization of crime statistics. what kinds of data are mixed with
crime data to create new services?  what kinds of impacts they've made?

Also, it could be interesting to monitor the usage of open data and provide
the statistics. Since if data is not used, data is then useless. We need
not just to monitor how many datasets are opened but also monitor how many
of them are actually used and how they are used.

It could also be interesting to help citizens to show the gov a concrete
example and tell them why they should open a specific dataset because there
is one example showing the tech solution and already made good
social/economic impacts

what do you think? is this something worthy to do if it does not exist?

thanks,
Feng

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Marieke Guy <marieke.guy at okfn.org> wrote:

>  Hi Feng,
>
> The LinkedUp Project is running a series of three consecutive competitions
> looking for interesting and innovative tools and applications that analyse
> and/or integrate open web data for educational purposes.
>
> The 22 open data applications from the first competition are listed online:
> http://linkedup-challenge.org/veni.html
>
> There will be more to come!
>
> Thanks
>
> Marieke
>

> On 22/10/2013 23:18, Heather Leson wrote:
>
>  HI Feng, I have a few places for you to search (See below). It would
> help us if you could provide specific types of issues that people would
> like to see technical solutions address.  There are likely some examples
> globally. (eg. extraction, water tracking, etc.)
>
> Examples from the various World Bank apps challenges:
>
>  http://data.worldbank.org/apps  and
> http://appsfordevelopment.challengepost.com/
>

> I think that the city reps from the various Open Data Days might be on
> this list. See the Open Data Day wiki:
> http://wiki.opendataday.org/2013/City_Events
>
>  Code for America:
> http://www.codeforamerica.org/apps/
>

>  With Random Hacks of Kindness, there were also a few examples:
> http://www.rhok.org/ (check the blog)
>

>  The Space Apps challenge also has a few great examples:
>
> http://spaceappschallenge.org/
>

>  One thing that I have yet to see (a big dream), is a master search
> across all the events and github for these examples. I agree that is a gap.
>

> Happy hunting,
>

>  Heather
>

> On 18 October 2013 05:26, FENG GAO <gaofeng860918 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi, all:
>>
>>  When i talk about open data  in China, I'm always asked to show people
>> different kinds of open data applications, which use the dataset those
>> people are interested in. So I'm wondering whether there is any
>> catalog/database/project collecting applications built upon open data?
>>
>>  thanks,
>> Feng
>> --
>> Feng GAO <http://about.me/feng_gao> | @okfncnfenggao<http://twitter.com/okfncnfenggao> (same
>> on Weibo)
>> Ambassador at China, Open Knowledge Foundation
>>
>>  OKF China Local Group (开放知识基金会中国) <http://cn.okfn.org>
>>  Weibo: @ 开放知识基金会中国 <http://weibo.com/okfncn> |Twitter: @okfncn<http://twitter.com/okfncn>

> Heather Leson, Community Engagement Director
>
> Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>*, Empowering through Open
> Knowledge*
>
> IRC/skype: heatherleson  | @heatherleson<https://twitter.com/heatherleson>
> http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog<http://blog.okfn.org/> | Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
> <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>

> Marieke Guy
> LinkedUp Project Community Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0)
> [...]

skype: fenggaosh
Ambassador at China, Open Knowledge Foundation

OKF China Local Group (开放知识基金会中国) <http://cn.okfn.org>
Weibo: @开放知识基金会中国 <http://weibo.com/okfncn> |Twitter:
@okfncn<http://twitter.com/okfncn>
Join Discussion on the