[okfn-discuss] CC and copyright reform

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Wed Oct 30 15:15:33 UTC 2013

The statement doesn't mention the aspect in most pressing need of
reform, which is the preposterous 70-year term of copyright after the
death of the author. What is the purpose of copyright? If it's to
protect an artist's livelihood, artistic integrity, etc, there is no
need for it to last five minutes after her death. I can see a weak
argument for extending it for a few years to protect dependents (will
someone please think of the children ...), not that the dependents of
doctors or builders or plumbers have the same luxury, but anyway, that
would justify 10 years, not 70 by which time the artist's children are
probably dead of old age.

To me this is an indication that copyright policy has been captured by
corporate interests and is not made in the best interests of society
at large. Thoughts?

Mark

--
Business development and user engagement manager
The Open Knowledge Foundation