[okfn-discuss] effort to improve "open science" article on Wikipedia... also see citizendium

Gene Shackman eval_gene at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 14 02:33:39 UTC 2013

"See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability"

Yes they say so, but there are plenty of entries on wikipedia that don't follow those rules, and a wikipedia editor wrote to me and said articles only follow the rules as long as the wikipedia editors notice.

Here is another problem with wikipedia
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/22/147261659/gauging-the-reliability-of-facts-on-wikipedia
basically they say that stuff goes on wikipedia because everyone says so, not because it is right.

Also,
 the assertion that wikipedia is high quality is often based on a 2005
study saying it was just as accurate (or just as inaccurate) as encyc
brit. But that study may have been fatally flawed, says bbc
so we can dispense with that assertion that wikipedia is high quality.

Gene

Gene