[okfn-discuss] Enhanced Wikipedia Alpha

Lane Rasberry lane at bluerasberry.com
Tue Sep 24 13:35:26 UTC 2013

What is this doing? Is this taking the title of any given Wikipedia article
and using that as a search query in various search engines?

I had never heard of Enhanced Wikipedia and I wonder if this project could
not be connected to other existing efforts which are similar. I have seen
some other projects which do this on the live Wikipedia.

You posted a special notice on your site about medical claims - perhaps you
noticed that in summer of this year several thousand medical articles got a
new template which offers users automatic searches in PubMed. You could see
this on any of these health articles, but for example, see here
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Low_back_pain>
in the box beginning "*Ideal sources* for Wikipedia's medical content..."

Also this year a librarian got attention in lots of blogs including
BoingBoing for his idea to connect Wikipedia to local libraries. His
library boxes have been in trial for a few months and have community
support and some Wikimedia Foundation attention.
<http://everybodyslibraries.com/2013/03/04/from-wikipedia-to-our-libraries/>
<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2013-03-18/Interview

The big project for trying this was OCLC's (steward of WorldCat) connection
of practically every biography of anyone who has authored anything to that
persons listing in WorldCat's union catalog.
<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Authority_control_integration_proposal/FAQ

The Khan Academy is doing this a bit with their Smarthistory project. They
have their own critiques of famous works of art, but ultimately this could
be a model for connecting any Wikipedia article to externally hosted
related videos.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarthistory>
<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2013-01-28/News_and_notes

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/smarthistory>

Thoughts?

Thanks,

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Davide Suraci <icarused at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> TerritorioScuola Enhanced Wikipedia Project (Alpha Version). Enhanced
> Search with WikiPedia Using Robots to display related resources from the
> web to all Wikipedia words (Video/Audio, .doc, ,pdf, .ppt, maps, edu,
> .html, images).
>  You can try it to:
> http://www.territorioscuola.com/wikipedia/en.wikipedia.php (Languages
> available: en, it, es, pt, de, fr, ru, ro, gr)
>
> http://www.territorioscuola.com/wikipedia/ (IT)
> http://www.territorioscuola.com/wikipedia/es.wikipedia.php (ES)
> http://www.territorioscuola.com/wikipedia/pt.wikipedia.php (PT)
> http://www.territorioscuola.com/wikipedia/de.wikipedia.php (DE)