[okfn-discuss] Joining OKF - Heather Leson

Heather Leson heather.leson at okfn.org
Thu Sep 26 09:38:40 UTC 2013

Hi all, thank you so much for the warm welcome. Lane, thanks for the
thoughts on community, outreach and communications. The local community
team have been building plans to meet those needs. I certainly look forward
to contributing.

One thing I do know about wikipedia pages is that it is always better to
co-create them following the lead of community members. Perhaps you are
just the person to help on that?  We are nearing our 10 year mark and,
indeed, you are spot on that now is the time to get our history documented.

As I am very new, please know that I will sync with Zara, Christian, Neal
and the Team. This is something that could be a great community adventure
too.

Heather

On 24 September 2013 14:54, Lane Rasberry <lane at bluerasberry.com> wrote:

> Hello Heather,
>
> I know you are getting settled in but I would like to have a chat with you
> sometime. I also am a community organizer and my own job would be easier if
> OKF supported its own community in a way relevant to me. In short - I would
> like for an OKF history to be compiled and I would like to work with others
> to integrated that into Wikipedia.
>
> Right now OKF has a sub-par Wikipedia article. I often have to explain
> concepts related to "open knowledge" to various people and I think that the
> place of the OKF should be in acting as stewards of cultural standards in
> the open movement. When I am explaining concepts like "open science" and
> "open access", I would like to be able to cite an authoritative
> organization which can be a proponent of the philosophy on which demands
> for openness can be made. OKF should be that authoritative organization,
> but right now if someone searches online for information about OKF it is my
> opinion that a thoughtful person would not find a history and explanation
> of the organization's scope that would make them sure that OKF was that
> authority. I say this because I am not aware of any organization which is
> positioned for or which desires to even have that authority, and even if
> OKF does not want the authority I feel that it should take the
> responsibility anyway.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Knowledge_Foundation>
>
> I do not know the entire media strategy for getting recognition, but
> considering OKF's digital base and community outreach strategy, promoting
> the development of its Wikipedia article would not be an unreasonable
> compliment to whatever else is done because whatever the Wikipedia article
> says other journalists will repeat and people who do genera search engine
> queries about the organization are likely to find the Wikipedia article as
> well.
>
> No one should promote bias into a Wikipedia article and organizations
> should not write about themselves, but in the long term and with
> maintenance, I would like for there to be increased communication between
> the OKF community and the Wikipedia community such that major projects of
> the OKF are noted on Wikipedia and general information about broad issues
> which flows through the OKF community also finds its way in general
> interest Wikipedia articles, which again for example could be the articles
> on "open access" and "open science".
>
> Congratulations on your position as community manager. As a member of your
> community a look forward to being managed by you.
>
> yours,
>

>  On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Nurunnaby Chowdhury <nh at nhasive.com>wrote:
>
>> Congrtz & Welcome Heather..
>>

>> Nurunnaby Chowdhury
>> Ambassador, OKFN Bangladesh
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Billy Meinke <
>> billy.meinke at creativecommons.org> wrote:

> [...]

Heather Leson, Community Manager,  Local Groups Network
IRC/skype: heatherleson  | @heatherleson <https://twitter.com/heatherleson>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge
*
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on