[okfn-discuss] OKF at FOSDEM 2014?

Emanuil Tolev emanuil.tolev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 10:06:38 UTC 2013

I've volunteered there for the past 2 years, it's an awe-inspiring event
(at least by sheer size, est. 5000-7000 last year).

We should focus on intro material, don't think the audience will be greatly
familiar with Open Knowledge. The majority of people are software
developers from many different domains. There are no introductions to F/OS
software so even if there are other professionals (academics..) they will
be technically minded.

On the question of how to participate:
1/ Lighting talk - intro to OK and OKFn alone won't cut it, it'll have to
be an interesting piece of software. This could mean architecture, uptake,
users, what it does. CKAN has had wide exposure that could teach devs
something, as does CrowdCrafting I guess.

2/ Main track talk - there's only one "miscellaneous / community" track,
the rest will be extremely technical talks on security, virtualisation,
whatever is up this year. I tried submitting "Opening up science, knowledge
and getting paid to develop FLOSS" in 2013 with an intro to Open Knowledge
and a bit about the process of Cottage Labs, but to no avail. Perhaps I
estimated wrongly that the spin would be interesting. I feel it's unlikely
that a pure talk on Open Knowledge would get in though, it'll have to be
software-related.
The deadline for submitting these is 1st October 2013 unfortunately.

3/ Dev Room - a whole topic (had "FLOSS in Science" in 2013), gets a room
for 1 or 2 days and arrange their own talks within that community. In a few
days (1 Oct) the accepted dev rooms will be announced, so we could
volunteer to talk at a relevant one if they want us.

4/ Project stand - you get a table for 2 days in a large building with lots
of traffic and present your FLOSS project. The only organisation without a
specific project I've seen is Free Software Foundation Europe.

5/ Just go and talk to people, a bit difficult since the conference is
quite hectic.

OKF Belgium may want to join.

Greetings,
Emanuil

P.S. I've published my FOSDEM 2013 submission here:
https://github.com/emanuil-tolev/fosdem2013-open-knowledge-presentation
It's got a basic intro to Open Knowledge from an academic perspective, i.e.
open access, and the OKF.

LibreOffice source:
https://github.com/emanuil-tolev/fosdem2013-open-knowledge-presentation/raw/master/open-knowledge-fosdem-2013.odp
View PDF: