[okfn-discuss] new brand, new website: coming up next week

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 14:19:20 UTC 2014

Hello Laura, all,

Thanks for sharing this update. The new logo looks great. However, the more
I read and reflected on the new brand content I did have some concerns I
thought might be worth raising for discussion.

I've blogged them in more depth at
http://www.timdavies.org.uk/2014/04/12/data-information-knowledge-and-power-exploring-open-knowledges-new-core-purpose/but
essentially, they relate to the 'Motivation, Core Purpose and Tag
Line'
rather than name and visuals, and boil down to:

*1) A concern about process*
The Open Knowledge (Foundation) is, I think, widely understood as a broad
movement made up of WGs, Chapters, and many other volunteers as well as
core team. Developing a new brand was an opportunity to have an inclusive
conversation about what the community and core organisation understand by
open knowledge - and it seems, with this brand being presented as a done
deal, that opportunity has been missed.

Reading the responses of the 2013 survey that were shared on the OK(F)
blog, I also don't seem these reflected in the final core purpose and tag
line.

Is there an openness to reviewing and more widely consulting the community
on this new brand before taking it as fixed?

*2) Data and tech-centricity*
The motivation, core purpose and tagline are more tech-centric and
data-centric than the OK(F) community is, risking sidelining other aspects
of the open knowledge community. For the tag-line just to be about data
seems particularly problematic.

*3) Understanding the difference of data, information and knowledge*
The motivation and core purpose statement appear to conflate date,
information and knowledge and use them interchangeably - but they are
importantly distinct. I would argue there needs to be a recognition of the
distinction of data, information and knowledge in order to develop a
coherent theory of change and purpose.

*4) Analysis of power*
The core purpose emphasises 'informed choice' as the primary means of
securing change - but does not address the need to change the frameworks in
which individuals are making choices. I think there is a much stronger
political critique of power to be found across the open knowledge movement,
and this is currently entirely missing from these statements.

I hope these thoughts (developer further in the blog post) are useful
feedback.

Although I'm not currently active facilitating a working group or in other
volunteering within the OK(F) community, the new Core Purpose statement
certainly does not excite me to get more actively engaged again in future,
and I fear it will alienate others too.

In a spirit of constructive dialogue,

All the best

Tim Davies