[okfn-discuss] Temporary CC license

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Fri Apr 25 14:53:18 UTC 2014

John

This is really a question for Creative Commons since CC-BY-NC is not an Open
licence (the non-commercial is the issue).

However the short answer is that section 2(a)(1) of CC-BY-NC 4.0 grants an
irrevocable licence -

"Subject to the terms and conditions of this Public License, the Licensor
hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-sublicensable,
non-exclusive, irrevocable license to exercise the Licensed Rights in the
Licensed Material to:
reproduce and Share the Licensed Material, in whole or in part, for
NonCommercial purposes only; and
produce, reproduce, and Share Adapted Material for NonCommercial purposes
only." [1]

Thus as long the work was acquired while it was being offered under the
CC-BY-NC licence the licence cannot be revoked by the licensor.  The short
version also make that clear: "The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as
long as you follow the license terms."[2]

In addition it appears that *downstream recipients* also automatically get
the rights under CC-BY-NC *even if you distribute it to them after 18 June*
- see 2(a)(5)(A) of the legal code "Downstream recipients. Offer from the
Licensor - Licensed Material. Every recipient of the Licensed Material
automatically receives an offer from the Licensor to exercise the Licensed
Rights under the terms and conditions of this Public License."[1]

It's entirely open to the copyright holder to stop granting *new* licences
after 18 June, but they cannot unilaterally take away CC licences already
granted to a licensee.

Regards

Andrew

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode