[okfn-discuss] Temporary CC license

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 14:55:16 UTC 2014

Read the CC licence. It's crystal clear: I have highlighted it (*** bold
***)
You are free to:

   - *Share* — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
   - *Adapt* — remix, transform, and build upon the material
   -

   - ******The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow
   the license terms.******

Under the following terms:

   -

   *Attribution* — You must give appropriate
credit<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/deed.en_US#>,
   provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were
made<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/deed.en_US#>.
   You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests
   the licensor endorses you or your use.
   -

   *NonCommercial* — You may not use the material for commercial
purposes<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/deed.en_US#>
   .

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM, John Levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I came across a curious academic publishing gambit I'd like to ask the
> list about.
>
> In short, two articles in Society and Space Volume 32 Number 2 have been
> made open access.
>
> The cc-by-nc button and the text 'Open Access" mark these 2 articles on
> the journal issue page:
> http://www.envplan.com/contents.cgi?journal=D&volume=32&issue=2
>
> And the two articles are announced as open access until June 18th
> http://societyandspace.com/2014/04/24/discussion-forum-
> on-henri-lefebvre-dissolving-city-planetary-metamorphosis-
> paper-and-intro-open-access-and-four-online-commentaries/
>
> However, the PDFs of the articles have (c) Pion and Licensors at the
> bottom.
>
> In the comments on the announcement page, I asked what happens after June
> 18th. The reply was: "I think Pion will simply revert to the previous
> status on that date."
>
> Can this be done? Does this revoke previously granted rights? If I
> republished the articles on a blog, would I be obliged to take them down on
> June 18th?
>
> Or - as I suspect - does a publisher not understand open access and CC
> licenses?
>
> John
> --
> John Levin