[okfn-discuss] first Italian judgment about Creative Commons licenses

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:23:27 UTC 2014

Simone -

Very interesting indeed. So, the implication as I read it from your excerpt
is that the court found the publisher did need to honor the -SA nature of
the published work in its subsequent dealings.

Is this accurate? I don't want to make you translate more of the settlement
to clarify, but any additional summary of the outcome is appreciated.

Thanks for sharing his case,

- Heath

On Friday, December 26, 2014, Simone Aliprandi <simone.aliprandi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On December 19 I obtained the first Italian judgment about the
> application of Creative Commons licenses. I obtained it not as an
> attorney but as an author of technical books who had a bad experience
> with a famous Italian publishing company called Franco Angeli
> Edizioni. The book in issue is "Apriti standard! Interoperabilità e
> formati aperti per l'innovazione tecnologica", later published by
> Ledizioni and itself available under a CC by-sa license.
> The verdict, which came after a four years trial, is not properly
> about intellectual property issues; actually it has been a
> precontractual liability case, ruled by an ordinary civil court and
> not by the IP specialized court. However it provides an interesting
> view of the level of awareness that mainstream publishers have of
> these licenses.
> Read more at:
> http://aliprandi.blogspot.it/2014/12/first-italian-judgment-creative-commons.html
> Thanks for sharing and commenting.
> Bye, Simone
> --
> Simone Aliprandi - http://www.aliprandi.org | http://www.array.eu

Heath Rezabek  //  labs.vessel.cc
Icarus Interstellar  /  FarMaker Design Corps  //  icarusinterstellar.org
Open Knowledge Foundation  /  Texas Ambassador for the OKFn  //  okfn.org