[okfn-discuss] Introduction - Hallo there!

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Sun Feb 23 17:47:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Megan McGrattan
<megan.mcgrattan at okfn.org>wrote:

> Having previously worked as a Technology Consultant at Google, where I
> focused on access initiatives for several amazing nonprofits, I'm excited
> to work on the broader themes of global access and open. I'm also really
> excited to start building a great story around OKFestival 2014, to help
> communicate the idea of 'open' to a broader audience - if you have
> suggestions, we're looking forward to hearing them really soon!

Hi, Megan-
Welcome to the team!

A quick note as a relative outsider- I saw the announce of the new website
last week. It is nice, but the website does not make it very clear what
themes will be discussed at OKFestival. In other words, I see defining
qualities (great!) but not defining issues. This makes it hard for me to
pitch this as something that outsiders to the movement should attend - hard
to explain to them why they should feel energized/relevant/etc. about
attending the event, other than just "open".  Not that the Wikimania 2014
website is perfect, but contrast- it specifically points out that topics
will include open education, open data, collaboration, licensing, etc., etc.

Hopefully this is something that can be improved so that OKFest can draw in
a wide variety of people from all the edges of the movement.

Thanks and good luck-
Luis