[okfn-discuss] [MyData & Open Data] Right to be forgotten ruling

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:03:56 UTC 2014

Hi Puneet, I actually think Google is handling the case quite well to their
profit so far.

The irony to me is that thanks to a not very well though ruling from the
ECJ, Google is now setting up a consultative decision-making process that
could end with a legal framework on its own, coordinated by a private
global entity, that substitutes to national regulators and rules on what is
public information and what is not. Where are the Data Protection and Right
to Info authorities here ? Will they have the capacity to handle and
control all decisions made by Google on a case by case basis ?

I find the question raised by Google of high importance and I am keen to
think and discuss about it but I would have really really preferred that
question being raised by my National or European Parliament  and being
discussed through a democratic process. Instead of that, we are now in a
strange situation where we are offered to go into a consultative process
and provide our knowledge and reflection on a matter of public interest to
an entity we do not have control over but who is asked, obliged, to
regulate that public matter.

--
*Pierre Chrzanowski*
*Expert Open Data*