[okfn-discuss] Community Programming - Check in

heather Leson heather.leson at okfn.org
Mon Jun 30 20:45:13 UTC 2014

Hello,

We asked you in the community survey what we could do to better support all
the amazing things you do by topic and location. I've done a pulse check on
some items and wanted to share back some results. We will have some next
steps soon.

We tried to support you with more events, a renewed wiki, a suggested
tumblr and the community sessions (online meetings.)  With any programming,
we want to test out the success and check in with you about whether it is
meeting the global community needs and what else we can do next to better
serve each other.

Events

Our prime event focus this quarter is OKFestival. There is still time to
host a local fringe event in your part of the world. Or, if you can, attend
the Berlin event.

http://2014.okfestival.org/

Wiki

The wiki got a refresh. The original intention was to have all community
minutes and community member accounts reside on the wiki. There has been
slow uptake on this: less than 100 personal membership accounts were
created. One piece of feedback we had was that the wiki is hard to use due
to its anti-spam restrictions. At Okfest, we will encourage people to start
adding minutes to the wiki and help make it more of a community zone.

http://wiki.okfn.org/Main_Page

Community Tumblr

The Community Tumblr has been populated by stories from the global
community. Our goal is to increase this storyspace. Again, we’ll work at
OKFest to find ways to involve more community members in storytelling. The
goal is to connect you to each other. Online thoughts are most welcome.

http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/

Community Sessions

Community Sessions were created to connect you across all the various Open
Knowledge communities. Here is some data on those sessions:

Top attended sessions - Community Feedback Session #1 and Take a Ckan Tour.

15 sessions

140 total in -person participants

Total views - 1101 views.
Process notes: Each video was promoted on the blog, social media and on
various mailing. Some session videos were shared on the blog after the
events.

http://wiki.okfn.org/Community_Sessions

*What's next? *
The goal is to add Community Value to your life and to help us all connect
more with each other. What do you think? What would be a priority for
you? Well,
I created a model of 24 potential programme ideas by small to medium to
large tasks. (Some of these exist already, some of them are ideas waiting
to be build. And, of course, to remix.)

I'll be asking you for guidance at OKfest along with my Community
colleagues. Our goal is to recaliberate. We know that those of you who are
not attending OKfestival may also have input. Feel free to add points in
the discussion tab of this wiki page.

http://wiki.okfn.org/Community_Playbook

*Survey results: *
http://blog.okfn.org/2014/02/12/who-are-you-community-survey-results-part-1/
http://blog.okfn.org/2014/03/19/is-this-microphone-on-sharing-open-knowledge-feedback-part-2/
http://blog.okfn.org/2014/04/01/happy-spring-cleaning-community-style/

Thanks so much

heather

--

Heather Leson, Community Engagement Director

Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>*, Empowering through Open
Knowledge*

IRC/skype: heatherleson  | @heatherleson <https://twitter.com/heatherleson>
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook