[okfn-discuss] OKFN and Reset the Net

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Thu Jun 5 13:30:40 UTC 2014

Hi Will,

Reset the Net is an interesting initiative around freedom from mass
surveillance by government. We try to focus our Open Knowledge endorsements
on projects with a clear open data / open knowledge element. There's lots
of causes out there which we might well support as individuals, especially
around digital rights and so forth, but as an organisation we feel it's
best to focus our support on causes directly related to our work and
mission, which most likely means that we can be confident that Open
Knowledge folks would support the cause. My sense is that Reset the Net
doesn't quite fall within this remit; what do others think?

Of course, Local Groups and Chapters may make their own decisions on such
initiatives, in consultation with the appropriate local board of directors
and community, and to ensure if they do sign that they make it clear what
organisation or group they represent - ie the Chapter or the specific Local
Group.

Best regards,

Laura

On 5 June 2014 12:19, William Waites <ww at eris.okfn.org> wrote:

> It's not too late, and it'd be really good to have the
> https://www.resetthenet.org/ banner or splash page up
> today on the okfn.org web site

*Dr Laura JamesCEO  *

*skype: laura.james  |  *@LaurieJ <http://twitter.com/LaurieJ>

*Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>    -    See how data can change the
worldhttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |  @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>
<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>The Open Knowledge Foundation is a
not-for-profit organisation.  It is incorporated in England & Wales as a
company limited by guarantee, with company number 05133759.  VAT
Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office address: Open Knowledge
Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS,
UK.  *