[okfn-discuss] OKFN and Reset the Net

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Jun 5 16:36:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 06:23:39PM +0200, Pierre-Carl Langlais wrote:
> So far, I was expecting this kind of disengagement from political issues,
> with the recent transformation of the website and surrounding communication.
> Shifting from "Free knowledge" to "how data can change the world" was more
> than a mere symbolic change, imho...
>
> If we have gone as far as considering that the NSA's breaking apart of the
> Internet is none of our concern, I'm increasingly concerned that the OKF is
> going to promote a much-sanitized version of its initial, bold principles.

i would like to direct your attention to the following facts:

1. the okfn grew from 5 employed people to more than 30 community managers in
a very short time of 2-3 years, with roots or sympathies from silicon valley,
not in the free software movement where this whole thing took it's inspiration
from... i remember rufus fighting against software patents, and being inspired
by debian for ckan. <3
2. this inflation was driven by some big mostly foundations with strong roots
in silicon valley and ukusa government support, again, the kind of orgs that
clearly reject the ethical aspects of free software and promote open source
instead.
3. some leading representatives of the big donors got themselves on the board

maybe the above explain the internal chilling effect. more digging in the
financial and administrative records of the okfn would be interesting to do.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt