[okfn-discuss] OKFN and Reset the Net

William Waites ww at styx.org
Thu Jun 5 17:55:03 UTC 2014

> In the case of Reset the Net specifically, I've seen some opposition
> online to the initiative because it has the backing of Google - what
> do folks here think about that? Is it a concern?

Just because Google says something is good, and we don't necessarily
trust Google, doesn't automatically mean that it /isn't/ good. There
are lots of other organisations that I personally trust that have
endorsed it.

On Google specifically, and in fact on the topic of the specific
"thing" that they said they would do to mark today, I wrote a short
piece [1] (with a couple of minor errors, see if you can spot them) the
other day. The executive summary is, their plan is a mixed blessing.

[1] http://nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-1406/msg00002.html