[okfn-discuss] Web 2.0 Killed the Internet (article)

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:00:19 UTC 2014

Well, there are some folks (Richard Stallman) who would say that "Open" has
not degraded at all, in that the initial focus of it when applied to
technology 15 years ago was *specifically* to undermine his ethical message
about freedom.

I had been using the OKF as my go-to example of why "Open" can be used by
organizations that really do care about social values, politics, and
ethics. I hope I can continue to do so, but taking political positions
isn't always comfortable and the OKF has been shying away from boldness
here lately. I see push-back and real listening, so we'll see…

At any rate, I call on the "Open Knowledge" community and organization to
keep this in mind: Do not fall into the "Free vs Open" silly debate by
letting "Open" become a neutralized term! Push for "Open" to really matter
and to be about respecting civil liberties and democracy!

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf