[okfn-discuss] Web 2.0 Killed the Internet (article)

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 18:44:08 UTC 2014

It's interesting.  There was distinctly a time, in the early 1990's, as the
web was just flickering into existence, when I remember my excitement about
the future of the internet being about the ability of everyone to
contribute equally.

I remember imperfectly phrasing that promise to others as "A server on
every desktop."

Asymmetry of upload and download speeds made that impractical, and I
remember being heartbroken.  But now, with the dual backlash of concern
over privacy and neutrality, I actually see a window for a renaissance of
that vision...  If the appification of the net leaves enough around with
the ability to see it.

In this capacity, the most exciting recent model I've seen (though not an
open protocol) is actually BitTorrent Sync.  (There may be other similar
protocols out there as easy to use, though I'm unaware.)  One potential use
of it is as a sort of DIY LOCKSS.  The seeds of peer to peer distributed
archival and access.

There's definitely room in the future for some positive alternatives, and
room for Open to stand proudly for a range of them.

- Heath

--
Heath Rezabek  //  labs.vessel.cc
Icarus Interstellar  /  FarMaker Design Corps  //  icarusinterstellar.org