[okfn-discuss] Next steps on the Open Knowledge Tagline

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 15:43:39 UTC 2014

While everyone has their opinions, if the tag-line that had been originally
chosen without so much input had been an actual call-to-action, something
actually decent, people might not have bothered complaining.

I think "see how data can change the world" is clearly *disliked* by lots
(perhaps most) of us, the thing I've found most troubling is that it wasn't
scrapped.

I have some experience with this sort of process, and I can tell you this:
it is extremely hard to find something everyone likes. The goal needs to
instead be to find something that *nobody* hates (and hopefully most people
like). The only reason "see how data can change the world" seems to have
been included in the running is because it was already there and some
people had early prejudice for it. Whether we end up with a main tagline or
3-5 or whatever, "see how" needs to be *omitted.* It's been pointed out by
multiple people how passive, distancing, topic-centric, and unclear it is.
It doesn't qualify for "nobody hates it" status even if we hesitate to use
the word "hate".

We can go through the rest and figure out if any options nobody hates.
Those are the ones we can move forward with. And I'm not saying just give
in to haters, but when reasonable people express things that aren't "it's
too fluffy, or it's too chunky" but really express true dislike with
explanations and persistence, *then* we *need* to drop the item in question.

Respectfully,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf