[okfn-discuss] Next steps on the Open Knowledge Tagline

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:31:28 UTC 2014

Thanks, Rufus. I agree. The concern was initially about potential shift in
focus and concern about inclusion of the community in the decisions.

To be clear, I always thought it was great that lots of Open Data stuff was
happening, but I saw "Open Knowledge" as basically including "Free
Culture", and when I think of stuff cultural works like music and art, I
see *zero* place for that in "See how data can change the world". And I
think that will remain the case for everyone who ever sees that tagline.
Nobody will ever see that tagline and think OK has anything directly to do
with free/open art.

So the initial concern remains: Does "Open Knowledge" include art and
culture? If "See how data…" is even an option, I still have my doubts.
Maybe I was wrong all along and OK was *never* inclusive of those things…
I'm really not honestly sure now.

Respectfully,
Aaron

--