[okfn-discuss] Global campaign for opening up contract data

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Sat Jun 28 16:31:55 UTC 2014

Hey Daniela,

I can’t speak to the Stop Secret Contracts campaign, you’ll have to ask core staff as to its purpose. More generally, though, open contracting stuff is currently being pushed by a working group that includes NGOs, the World Bank and even some country governments (http://open-contracting.org). Perhaps you can lobby your government to join that campaign, e.g. as part of their (next) OGP action plan?

In Europe, we’ve had some success in opening up contracting data by bringing together journalists and devs (http://ted.openspending.org). When you have a few well-known investigative reporters request the information, it has a very different impact from just a few nerds. You can read more here: http://blog.okfn.org/2014/05/16/opening-up-eu-procurement-data/

A related approach might be to check if there is at least some data (e.g. for one state) available, build something awesome with it, and then get the media to ask why this cannot be scaled out across the country.

Cheers,

- Friedrich