[okfn-discuss] Open Knowledge Foundation wiki

Joel Rebello joel.rebello at okfn.org
Wed Mar 26 08:52:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

 We've disabled the per edit captcha requirement for registered and
confirmed users,
The captcha will still present itself for page creates and edited content
which contain URLs.

We've also setup the Akismet[1] extension suggested by Vitor,
which would show up if your IP or submitted content is considered to be
spam related.

If the current solutions do not hold up, we can look at registration
approval related extensions.

1. Akismet extension seems to have some overhead, since it posts the page
content to akismet servers for analysis each time.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Ewan Klein <ewan.klein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just picking up the thread that Tom initiated about captchas on the wiki.
>
> We had this invitation from Nick:
>
> > If anyone has experience
> > administering a mediawiki installation and wants to volunteer to help
> > sort this out, while being aware that we *do not* want to naively roll
> > back the spam protections currently in place, then please let me know
> > and we can make sure you have the appropriate access.
>
> But presumably no-one has felt able to step up to this challenge.
>
> Heather wrote:
>
> > I have to say that captchas are a common practice. We had one on the
> Ushahidi wiki and a few other OS communities.
> >
> > This morning a few staffers had a chat about the next steps. I am
> working on a plan with them which will definitely require community input
> and collaboration.
>

> Eric responded:
>
> > One can imagine a situation where you face a captcha once per-session.
> As in, you fill out a captcha the first time you edit, and it then assumes
> you're human for future edits until you close your browser.
>
> This sounds reasonable to me; is it an option?
>
> I'm reopening this because I've just had a round of editing the wiki, and
> I have to say I agree entirely with Tom's original remark:
>
> > it gets really hard to do anything meaningful when you have to keep
> typing those stupid characters for every single edit again and again and
> again.
>

> Any updates from OKF central on this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ewan
>

> -------------
> Ewan Klein
> OKF Ambassador for Scotland
> Skype:  ewan.h.klein |  @ewanhklein
> The Open Knowledge Foundation
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
> http://scot.okfn.org/  |  @okfnscot

*Joel RebelloSystems Admin  | skype: joelr The Open Knowledge Foundation
<http://okfn.org/>Empowering through Open Knowledgehttp://okfn.org/
<http://okfn.org/>  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |
 Newsletter <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>*