[okfn-discuss] Right to be forgotten ruling

Rayna rayna.st at gmail.com
Mon May 19 22:05:36 UTC 2014

Well, the Global Network Initiative lists Google and Facebook as it lists
the Committee to Protect Journalists, Human Rights Watch and Index on
Censorship ;) My guess is the guy is writing on his personal behalf.

Following up on Rufus's questions, I have another one: whether the verdict
will include a provision making public interest outweigh personal desire.
If not, we'll have to wait for a jurisprudence on this to perhaps use in
the future... Yet that sounds too uncertain and risky because how can you
prove something disappeared if you haven't seen it before it vanished? This
is a rhetoric question, ofc.

Rayna

> The Guardian article led me to ask here. Marc Stephens is independent
> chair of the Global Network Initiative<https://www.globalnetworkinitiative.org/>which lists Google and Facebook among participants. The fact that he
> doesn't mention this left me doubting the whole article (maybe an
> overreaction, but it is a bit one-sided I find).
>

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Duncan Edwards <D.Edwards at ids.ac.uk>wrote:
>
>>  There was an interesting piece in the Guardian yesterday by Mark
>> Stephens entitled “only the powerful will benefit from the ‘right to be
>> forgotten’”
>> http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/18/powerful-benefit-right-to-be-forgotten
>>

>> I was particularly struck by: “*Google's content removal transparency
>> report records how government officials around the world already seek to
>> remove search results and other online content that threatens their
>> position*”.
>>

>> Duncan

"Change l'ordre du monde plutôt que tes désirs."

http://me.hatewasabi.info/