[okfn-discuss] Right to be forgotten ruling

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Mon May 19 22:23:36 UTC 2014

There's another angle to this, which is that Google is a private company,
not some neutral, objective, institutional entity.  (The only thing like
that I can think of with a similar, relevant mission is the Internet
Archive.)  Google owns a lot of personal data, and more than that, Google
displays search results from that data ranked by means designed to heighten
Google's bottom line.

I am finding more and more that moves which weaken Google's commercial
control over the world's data have a certain level of default support from
me, regardless of other factors.  But, I'm naive and frustrating that way...

- Heath

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 12:05:36AM +0200, Rayna wrote:
> > Following up on Rufus's questions, I have another one: whether the
> verdict
> > will include a provision making public interest outweigh personal desire.
>
> i don't think this matters at all. this is quite similar to the censorship
> of metadata linked from the piratebay.
>
> --
> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

Heath Rezabek  //  labs.vessel.cc
Long Now Foundation (Intern)  //  Manual for Civilization Project  //
longnow.org
Icarus Interstellar  //  FarMaker Design Corps  //  icarusinterstellar.org
Open Knowledge Foundation  //  Texas Ambassador for the OKFn  //  okfn.org