[okfn-discuss] Suggestion: OKCentral henceforth be called OKGlobal

Everton Zanella Alvarenga tom at okfn.org.br
Mon Oct 6 16:18:28 UTC 2014

Thank you, Laura!

I've already been using OKI, OKInternational and Open Knowledge
International. That is a better name.

Best regards!

P. S. I'm also an anti-acronyms, but the domain ok.org.br I just bought is
so cool! ;P

Tom

> Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
>
> This is just a discussion about the informal name used to distinguish the
> UK-incorporated-working-internationally-non-profit bit of Open Knowledge,
> as distinct from the whole network of local groups and working groups
> (which is Open Knowledge).  We started using 'central' a while back just so
> we had a word for it. This name is really only used where we need to be
> able to say things like "Open Knowledge Brasil are collaborating with Open
> Knowledge International on open data trainings" - because we're all Open
> Knowledge :)
>
> From this thread, it sounds like we should change this informal name from
> 'central' to 'international' - so that's what we'll use from now on.
>
> Puneet, we dropped the "Foundation" from the public-facing name because
> it's lead to confusion (we aren't a foundation with capital behind us),
> issues for some local groups where "foundation" has a specific local legal
> meaning, and the use of OKF, OKFN, OKNF and even ONKF etc - which is
> confusing to folks. We wanted a straightforward clear name which would be
> short enough for folks to use it in full - proclaiming who we are and what
> we do, helping others understand us and our work.
>
> Laura
>

> On 18 September 2014 22:33, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Open Knowledge And People International
>>
>> (suggested by Chuff)
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> a small voice from across the pond: OK International is definitely much
>>> better than OK Global|Central.
>>>
>>> Side note: I most likely came in late to the conversation; what is wrong
>>> with just OK Foundation? A bunch of us have just gotten used to saying OKFN
>>> (really fast so it flows smoothly off the tongue).
>>>

>>> --
>>> Puneet Kishor

>> --
>> Peter Murray-Rust
>> Reader in Molecular Informatics
>> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
>> University of Cambridge
>> CB2 1EW, UK
>> +44-1223-763069

> *Dr Laura JamesCEO  *
>
> *skype: laura.james  |  *@LaurieJ <http://twitter.com/LaurieJ>
>

> *Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>    -    A world where knowledge creates
> power for the many, not the fewhttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |
>  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  Facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>
> <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>Open Knowledge Community Stories
> | http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/ <http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/> | see
> how people are changing the worldThe Open Knowledge Foundation is a
> not-for-profit organisation.  It is incorporated in England & Wales as a
> company limited by guarantee, with company number 05133759.  VAT
> Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office address: Open Knowledge
> [...]

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
Open Knowledge Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
http://br.okfn.org