[okfn-discuss] ANN: Open Definition v2.0 Released - Major Update of Essential Standard for Open Data and Open Content

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue Oct 7 18:40:02 UTC 2014

The "No Charge" section could be made clearer. It is acceptable to
charge for distribution so long as the charge is not some sort of
license fee.

For example, say I want to operate a mail order geodata service, If I
charge for the service of putting the data on a DVD and sending it to
you in the post, that is OK so long as I don't try to prevent you from
then putting it on your FTP server.

This is treated in the "Access" section so this isn't a substantive
change, only a suggestion that this could be made clearer. Perhaps
moving the Access section to be adjacent to the No Charge section
would be enough.

Generally the interaction between "data" and "services" could probably
stand to be more fleshed out -- this is related to the considerations
that caused the GLPv3 and AGPL.

Cheers,
-w