[okfn-discuss] Open Knowledge Festival 2015 - Location Thoughts

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Wed Oct 8 16:49:26 UTC 2014

On 08/10/2014 17:19, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> On 8 October 2014 16:49, Abbas Mahmood <abbasjnr at gmail.com
> <mailto:abbasjnr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Rufus,
>
>     I think that OKFest shouldn't be held in Europe simply because that's
>     where most of your staff are based. If OKF sees itself as a global
>

> There are several considerations of which this is one.

<snip>

> We'd absolutely love to see both more Open Knowledge events around the
> world especially regional OKCons. Re the Festival we would also be very
> excited to travel around at some point. However, near-term, as the email
> explains, there are real practical challenges of moving the Festival
> around - but part of this thread is about people's thoughts on this and
> what we can do going forward (for 2015 I think will be very tough just
> because of timeline ...)
>
> Rufus

On principle I feel it is a high priority to hold OKF outside of Europe.
I quite understand that there are pragmatic reasons for suggesting
London and Berlin for 2015, time being one of them. Therefore could I
suggest that a call is made for hosts for OKF 2016  right now? This will
deal with problems of time constraints. And could I also suggest that an
emphasis is placed in this call for venues and organisations outside
Europe and the U.S.?

Best

John

--