[okfn-discuss] GNU GPL non-conformant with Open Definition?

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 18:09:01 UTC 2014

Josh,

For your reference, the explicit intention of the OD v2 was to make it
clear that all the specifications of GPL family were *included*. That you
have noticed some inadequacies in the wording simply highlights yet again
the problems with the process of creating a finalized draft and then just
announcing it as final instead of pushing for wider feedback.

Personally, I completely support changing the OD to assure that it fully
accepts all the GPL terms and also adding reference to the Free Software
definition in the intro.

Side note: I fully appreciate that Herb already acknowledged my recent
concerns and agreed about the idea of publishing a release-candidate for
comment before jumping to final. Just to add some perspective for those
following all this: the reason a release-candidate comment-period is so
critical isn't just to be strict about process. There's been an unfortunate
common reply to my concerns along the lines of "we discussed publicly for a
year, and anyone could participate." I see that point as inadequate. It's
not a question of whether anyone *could* participate, but a question of
whether everyone we'd want included *did* actually participate. If, at the
end of the year, we know there are lots of potentially interested and
useful people who were not involved, then we need to work to get their
thoughts. This is *not* about participation itself, it's about the fact
that when Josh comes along, he has important critiques.

I really hope we all embrace the idea of publishing release-candidates for
comment after drafting process for *everything* going forward. No excuses
about how people *could* have participated. Their last-minute comments
being excluded hurts everyone. It isn't about *their* interests
particularly, but the interests of the whole project.

I propose that we go through this, draft the 2.1 version of the OD,
consider all these critiques that have come up, and even then publish a
release-candidate of 2.1 before finalizing. It already stinks that we
couldn't include these concerns in v2 proper.

Best,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf