[okfn-discuss] Socio-Ecological Enterprises

Philipp Grunewald P.Grunewald at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 10:23:24 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am turning to you in search for collaborators, in search for people that are interested in organisations’ social and/or ecological impact and that are interested in working as part of a network of facilitators and software developers that support institutions that are willing to change.

A colleague and myself are working on a theory, framework and tool to support organisations in the development of their capabilities; capabilities of social and environmental consciousness. In many areas of society we see people that work on the long journey towards a more just, transparent and sustainable world; the open community is a vibrant example for that. We believe that existing institutions need help in making the transformation away from being (mainly) inward looking, top-down governed, wellbeing impeding machines. That is why we are developing (based on the work of many other people) this theory and framework: see academic poster here<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57btwWsusMeU0p4Nll2ZWRFajg/edit?usp=sharing>.

In practice, what we are trying to do is to map interactions within and between social and ecological systems. We are currently exploring a combination of dialogue mapping (video short<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxS5wUljfjE>, video long<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sv5I59Fxw>), resource(ing) mapping (participatory resource mapping description<http://www.forestpeoples.org/topics/environmental-governance/participatory-resource-mapping>) and visual wikis (paper<http://www.destin-informatique.com/ASKOSI/attach/Software/KMtools.pdf>, video about paper<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ52ORG89Yg>) as a way of implementing the theory and framework. We are currently pitching our ideas to various institutions to find partners in developing the first module of the open source software (that is supposed to help in the development of the above mentioned organisational capabilities).

If you are interested in any of this please get in touch (via Email<mailto:p.grunewald at lboro.ac.uk>). Since we are at early stages everything is possible; everyone is welcome to get involved and to shape where this is going. We hope that soon there will be people making their living by facilitating institutional change processes along the lines developed here and/or implementing and developing the open source software for companies and other organisations all over the place.

Best wishes,
Philipp

--

Mr Philipp Grunewald