[okfn-discuss] should crowdsourced map data be open?

punk.kish at gmail.com punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:00:55 UTC 2015

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 1:31 AM, FENG GAO <gaofeng860918 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are many crowdsourcing map platform help individuals and organizations  create a map and crowdsource data (such as where is the toilets/parks). I'd like to ask your opinion:
>
> 1) should such crowdsourced data be open to anyone for download and reuse?

Yes

> 2) any existing crowdsourcing map platform allows anyone to download map data by default?

Yes

> 3) under what circumstance do you think it's fine to make the map only downloadable
> by the map owner/creator ( but the map is still publicly accessible by anyone )

Can’t think of any, as no good purpose is served by showing (which is what I assume you mean by “publicly accessible by anyone”) but restricting download. That said, what to do with the data is and should be always the prerogative of the creator(s) which, in this case, would happen to be the entire crowd, the source. They just don’t call it *open* if they restrict it in any way.

—
Puneet Kishor
Just Another Creative Commoner