[okfn-discuss] should crowdsourced map data be open?

Teg-wende Idriss TINTO tinto.jean at titinto.net
Fri Apr 3 15:06:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

Entirely agree with Andrew

Regards

Le 03/04/2015 14:22, Andrew Stott a écrit :
> I'd broadly agree with Puneet.
>
> It would be wise to:
>
> * make clear in the T&Cs that crowdsourcing contributors are making
their contributions public domain (even attributions can be messy for
large numbers)
> * makes clear in the T&Cs that contributors are warranting that they
are not using material for which third parties own IPRs. On geospatial
see for instance [1].
> * license the crowdsourced collection (which may have sui generis
database rights in jurisdictions  where such rigs exist) under an open
licence which respects the contributors.

> Regards
>
> Andrew
>

> [1] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_street
>

> On 3 Apr 2015, at 15:00, punk.kish at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> On Apr 3, 2015, at 1:31 AM, FENG GAO <gaofeng860918 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are many crowdsourcing map platform help individuals and
organizations  create a map and crowdsource data (such as where is the
toilets/parks). I'd like to ask your opinion:

>> 1) should such crowdsourced data be open to anyone for download and
reuse?

> Yes
>

>> 2) any existing crowdsourcing map platform allows anyone to download
map data by default?

> Yes
>

>> 3) under what circumstance do you think it's fine to make the map
only downloadable
>> by the map owner/creator ( but the map is still publicly accessible
by anyone )

> Can’t think of any, as no good purpose is served by showing (which is
what I assume you mean by “publicly accessible by anyone”) but
restricting download. That said, what to do with the data is and should
be always the prerogative of the creator(s) which, in this case, would
happen to be the entire crowd, the source. They just don’t call it
*open* if they restrict it in any way.

>> Puneet Kishor
> Just Another Creative Commoner

- --
Crypter vos email pour limiter la surveillance de masse. Guide :
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/fr/

Teg-Wendé Idriss TINTO:
    Ingenieur en Informatique
    téléphones:
        (00226)70102936,
        (00226)66283666
    email:
        tinto.jean[at]titinto[dot]net,
    twitter:
        @titinto_
    skype:
        tinto.jean
    citation:
        « Notre mission est de préserver, protéger et promouvoir la
liberté d'utiliser, étudier, copier, modifier et redistribuer les
programmes informatiques, et de défendre les droits des utilisateurs de
logiciel libre. » FSF