[okfn-discuss] [open-government] Citizens/civil society data as an advocacy tool to change public institutional data collection?

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 00:42:20 UTC 2015

Hi Jonathan,

You might be interested by the example of our crowdsourcing last year
of french MPs' handwritten interests declarations published ad scanned
PDFs:
http://regardscitoyens.org/interets-des-elus/
http://www.regardscitoyens.org/8000-personnes-liberent-en-une-semaine-les-donnees-manuscrites-des-declarations-dinterets-des-parlementaires/

Following this work, the Official Authority in charge of the
publication announced they will develop an online form for MP to fill
their declaration in the future so that it can be directly published
as OpenData.

Another example could be our project with Transparency International
France using crowdsourcing to study lobbying :
http://www.regardscitoyens.org/transparence-france/crowdsourcing/
This app allowed us to produce a study
<http://www.regardscitoyens.org/transparence-france/etude-lobbying/>
which demonstrated that the register published by the Assemblée
Nationale was not precise enough and that parliamentary documents
could be more specific regarding interventions of lobbyists. The
French Assembly modified their rules after the publication of this
work to force lists of auditions to be always included and to publish
their lobby register as Open Data (unfortunately, this register is
only voluntary and not shared with the other institutions yet).

Best,

Regards Citoyens (cowritten e-mail)