[okfn-discuss] Stagnation in community concerns

Aaron Wolf wolftune at riseup.net
Fri Feb 6 20:32:08 UTC 2015

Rufus,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I accept all of your points and this is not about personal issues.

I am still concerned about the idea of a selected group and how that works. It's perfectly fine for a select group to devise a proposal or a draft, but not okay for that group's work to just go live without first engaging the larger community.

This was a similar problem with the Open Definition. It was a major mistake that the update we in the OD-discuss list approved was then put live and announced to the list as final. The same thing with the tag-line.

Essentially, the primary complaint is that no major decisions that affect the whole community should *ever* be finalized by a smaller working group. The smaller group can internally conclude their work, but then it needs to be presented to the community for feedback *before* it is made official.

So, my concern is *less* about the inactivity on the tag-line and *more* about the uncomfortable fact that inactivity means the see-how-data tagline by default. Similarly, it's uncomfortable that any inactivity on getting to OD v2.1 means that ODv2 as is stays default. In the case of OD, I find v2 to be all around improvement over earlier anyway, but I just don't like the nature of the internal group's decision jumping into default.

Basically, I want the burden to remain on the internal group until the wider community seems generally to consent or at least have fully weighed in on such large community decisions. So, I would like the tagline deleted for now not because everyone agrees that deleting it with no other action is an improvement (although, I'm biased here, I think it would be an improvement) but because I want the group that works on the tagline to have the burden and feel that it is missing right now and something needs to be done. That is better than a situation where those who don't mind the tagline can simply be inactive and it stays.

So, indeed, I've made my points about why I don't like the tagline. I'm not alone in my concerns. We don't need to rehash all that here. The main issue is a question of how defaults get into place. I'm suggesting that "we, this smaller sub-group did the work" should *not* be considered adequate to impose larger-scale defaults over the community. That justification should only apply to things that are specific to the smaller group itself.

Respectfully,
Aaron