[okfn-discuss] [Project-discussion] Oil Industry

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 05:21:47 UTC 2015

I am in close touch with OpenOil as we are both Shuttleworth
Fellows/projects and we recently had a joint hack in Berlin. Should this be
revisited with OpenOIl? It looks complementary.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Gustavo Silva <
gustavosantaremsilva at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After regaining my strength after a tough breakdown at another project, I
> thought about what we could do to re-start the group. Most of the people
> previously involved left the group and/or moved away to other things and,
> thus, the group is kind of stumbling upon itself.
>
> It is crucial to rapidly get involved with a couple of projects and get
> some results so that people realize we're alive and kicking.
>
> The oil industry is a very peculiar one and so I believe it is a great
> start - specially since the literature is vague and not very concise in
> specific matters. That is why the group has previously done a model of an
> oil contract
> <http://openeconomics.net/2013/10/22/open-model-of-an-oil-contract/>,
> partnering up with Open Oil group. However, that research was not concluded
> and we must proceed.
>
> In this specific thread, there are two main things I wish to know from you:
>
>  1. Who's interested to get involved in this topic? I know Samira and
> Rodney want to help, even though their contribution is kind of limited due
> to real life commitments. However, as you understand, as more people get
> involved, better for us.
>  2. Which particular topics would you like to develop? Personally, I would
> vote for theoretical models to, first, explain some firm's behaviors in the
> market and, later, proceed with empirical analysis, using open data - of
> course.
>
> Please let us know your thoughts. Even if we are only a few collaborating,
> we can deliver amazing things, I am sure!
>
> Thank you in advance and I apologize to spam the OK's main mailing list,
> but thought others would like to get involved with us.
>
> --
> Best Regards / Obrigado e com os melhores cumprimentos,
> Gustavo

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry