[okfn-discuss] [od-discuss] Open Definition 2.1 final draft

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:58:15 UTC 2015

Hi Herb and everyone, and thanks a lot for the mailing-list notice.

I seem to have missed the latest updates regarding 1.3 and I'm only
catching up now which I feel a bit guilty about... :/

I've been exploring all the latest commits and I'm worried the
successive changes have lost in the way both references to bulk access
(which was indeed moved to 1.2, but then removed as redundant with "as
a whole"), and to machine-readability (which makes me feel like
current 1.3 could make now pdf acceptable for data for instance)

In exchange we got this final sentence that sounds a bit unclear and
blurred to me : "The work should be provided in the form preferred for
making modifications to it."

Although I understand we want to go forward a more global
opendefinition than one adressing only data, I feel like it will still
be one of the reference documents for data and should then still have
clear precisions regarding them.

So with this in mind, I feel like one of the previous formulation of
Art 1.3 in the rewriting process was a lot more clear and adressing
this matter of expliciting specifically for data these two required
features : "Data must be machine-readable and should be provided in
bulk."
(cf this version
https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/2766b3fd209799993d5ada55a3e7ac92a5d1115c/source/open-definition-2.1-dev.markdown#13-open-format
)