[okfn-discuss] code.google.com closing down

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:53:59 UTC 2015

Stef- I believe that searching for a URL in the Wayback Machine queues it
and its connected docs for crawling by archive.org.

- Heath

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015, Friedrich Lindenberg <
friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:

> Good digital archiving is a huge challenge, but I think claiming that
> every project stored on Google Code is now entirely Google's problem isn't
> reasonable and won't get this solved. It's true that zipping each project
> up and pushing it onto archive.org is a simple thing to do, and I'd be
> surprised if Google didn't end up doing something along these lines.
>
> Beyond that, I don't think that we should pretend there's a legitimate
> expectation for infinite free service (e.g. git/svn servers, working
> wikis). Maintaining F/OSS projects is real work, and Google shouldn't do it
> for us.
>
> Let's not forget that OKFN's own track record on this is probably not
> ideal either - KForge was shut down without a very comprehensive archival
> plan...
>
> - Friedrich
>

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:34 PM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','s at ctrlc.hu');>> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 01:25:09PM +0000, David Miller wrote:
>> > Are you trolling?
>>
>> no i'm not. i'm disgusted by google destroying knowledge after 2016. i
>> deeply
>> care about open knowledge and such destruction is totally unacceptable.
>>
>> > Yes: Nice one.
>> > No: Did you read their explanation [1] ?
>>
>> yes, they externalize their costs again on us. them, who would count as
>> one of
>> the top 50 states if we'd live in a more fascistic world. we can migrate
>> the
>> stuff away that we want to preserve after 2016. they could put it on
>> read-only
>> and host it for 20 more years.
>>
>> there's shitloads of valuable unmaintained and orphaned projects on
>> googlecode, which will not be migrated if we do not get 1/ google to take
>> responsibility, 2/ someone else cleaning up googles shit.
>>
>> --
>> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

Heath Rezabek  //  labs.vessel.cc
Icarus Interstellar  /  FarMaker Design Corps  //  icarusinterstellar.org
Open Knowledge Foundation  /  Texas Ambassador for the OKFn  //  okfn.org