[okfn-discuss] Citizens/civil society data as an advocacy tool to change public institutional data collection?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Nov 20 11:35:23 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We are currently working with the Datashift
<http://civicus.org/thedatashift/> on some research looking at how data
from citizens/civil society groups can be used as an advocacy tool to
change what public institutions measure.

This follows on from the discussion paper we published earlier this
year on *Democratising
the Data Revolution
<http://blog.okfn.org/2015/07/09/democratising-the-data-revolution/>*.

We'd like to highlight some of the best examples of how data generated by
citizens and civil society organisations can be used to change data
measured by public institutions – as well as what kinds of strategies,
technologies, methods and practises were used in these projects.

The Migrant Files <http://www.themigrantsfiles.com/> from J++ and The
Counted
<http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/series/counted-us-police-killings> by
The Guardian both illustrate how data collection can be used to highlight
gaps in official forms of measurement and to illustrate how institutions
can measure things differently.

We're also looking into citizen data, crowdsourcing, drone journalism, data
journalism, data activism, civic tech and other kinds of data projects that
might be used to intervene in official data collection practices.

If anyone knows of any examples that might be relevant - we'd love to hear
about them on this forum thread
<https://discuss.okfn.org/t/citizens-civil-society-data-as-an-advocacy-tool-to-change-public-institutional-data-collection/1583>
.

All the best,